Chapter 4 - Rank Arrangement



Knights lined up before my eyes. In other words, when I looked at the faces of those who would carry out their duties as my subordinates in the future, I couldn't help but sigh.


They were literally a total mess.


'Let's see, the guys that look useful, one, two... '


Those who appeared to be in relatively decent condition could be counted on one's fingers with a bit of exaggeration, while the rest were all below standard.


In fact, except for their good supply situation, which was indicated by their plausibly dressed uniforms and the fat in most of their waists, it seemed better to pick and use the remnants of the front line instead.


At least if you fed them, clothed them, and gave them some decent weapons, they would go back out and fight for their lives. I wasn't talking about knights, but just ordinary soldiers.


How could one even compare the combat power of ordinary soldiers and superhuman knights?


On the battlefield, where means and methods do not matter, force does not always have absolute value.


It might sound like bullshit, but there were some facts that could only be understood through direct experience.


By my standards, if one could not handle the aura, it would be much better to have a civilian who listened well and did what he was told rather than half-baked superhumans with slightly excellent physical abilities.


Of course, a knight order composed of properly trained knights would exhibit a destructive combat power that rendered numbers meaningless, as widely acknowledged, but…


At least it didn't seem that these guys were capable of such a thing.


“All men, salute to the sun of the empire that watches over all people!” 


“Eternal glory to the imperial family! Eternal loyalty to His Majesty the Emperor!”


Look. There are hundreds of people, but only that many voices.


Moreover, everyone's eyes were hazy and their mental state seemed to be completely wrecked...


I didn't know how much effort it would take to make them somewhat usable.


‘Now that I think about it, I wonder where they all are and what they are doing. I'm sure those who survived will be doing fine on their own.'


Although I knew very well that comparing the past and the present was the most foolish thing in the world.


I couldn't help but think of the faces of my old subordinates with whom I had gone through life and death together on the battlefield.


“Next, there will be a ceremony to award a plaque of appreciation to former Knight Commander Pietro de’ Medici, who has not spared any ‘hardships’ for the Black Lion Knight Order over the past three years.”


By the way, why on earth was the deputy commander conducting the inauguration ceremony?


Originally, it should be normal for an administrative officer to preside over such an event. It seemed like the internal situation was very complicated.


Still, it was a meaningful inauguration ceremony, so even if it was a bit lacking, I tried to let it go as best as I could.


“We reaaallly appreciate your hardships.”


“Is this piece of stone the only reward for all my hardships? Is there nothing more?" 


“You are truly the same until the very end.”


As I watched things turn out more and more strangely, I slowly began to reach the limit of my patience.


“Everyone! Salute to the former knight commander!” 


“Salute! May the grace of God be upon you as you move forward!”


Not only the ordinary knights, but even the decurion[1] and centurion[2] captain just roughly shouted while sitting and moving limply like zombies and skeletons with no soul.


From conducting the event to commanding the personnel to the awarding ceremony, everything was handled by that small deputy commander alone.


To be honest, this was the first time in my life that I had ever experienced such a jackass-like inauguration ceremony.


I wanted to turn everything upside down right now, but the only reason I was still holding back was because of the deputy commander who made a good first impression on me.


How shitly did the previous commander manage the troops to get into this situation? Or was this how everyone in the rear originally works?


Or were the norms and traditions a bit unusual because it was not a typical unit, but a knight order?


Of course, it couldn't be, but seeing the dizzying scene, I felt like all the common sense I had built up until now was being denied.


Even though I had done nothing, the deep sense of powerlessness and emptiness that had already begun to come over me suddenly made me think of the Princess's coy face.


She was the most beautiful woman I had ever seen in my life. Both in appearance and body.


‘What happened today. Never forget it.'


...Well, I didn't know about her personality, though.


Despite being subjected to such a bloody threat, I couldn't believe I still wanted to see her again. Did I really become captivated by her without even knowing it?


Strangely enough, when I thought of the Princess's face, my irritation seemed to subside a little.


“Next in line is the retirement speech of Sir Pietro, the 13th Knight Commander. Everyone, please be quiet and listen.”


It had finally come.


I decided to hear what my predecessor, who had turned the knight order into this state, had to say.


He was from the Medici family, a fairly prestigious marquis family that immediately came to mind as soon as I heard his name, but I couldn't believe that he was that incompetent.


Was he just a crazy naked person running wild in the thunderstorm under his father's protection?


He was the kind of person I personally detested the most. Of course, it could be prejudice, but looking at his physiognomy, it didn't seem like that.


His clothes were unkempt, with a greasy face and a sly expression.


How could such a person be a commander? I could understand why the knight order had not been able to get its act together so far.


“Oh, dear Black Lions. The knight commander you have seen so far has been through hardships and sorrows with you all for a long time…”


However, his retirement speech itself was surprisingly normal.


Not that great or touching, but there was nothing to criticize about its content.


In short, it was a textbook speech.


"Next in line, we have the inaugural speech of Sir Wolfgang, the 14th Commander of the Knight Order. Please welcome him with applause!"


— Clap clap clap!


Applause? It was just needlessly burdensome. The retirement speech of the predecessor was just spent quietly, though.


— Wink


Sure enough, the face of the deputy commander blinking her left eye while looking at me was full of anticipation.


Did she do that on purpose? I should warn her not to do that next time.


Since I was not that good a talker to begin with, I adjusted my voice to make it as short and thick as possible.


"Greetings, Knights. I'm Wolfgang of the Schwarz County."


A commander is a person who must always assume a certain degree of dignity in front of his subordinates. Otherwise, proper leadership is impossible.


The camaraderie with subordinates could be built later, but the opportunity to make a proper first impression was only now.


Besides, since these guys had been slacking off so much, it wouldn't matter if I put some pressure on them openly to get a head start.


“There is no need for long speeches, so let’s keep it short.”


Sometimes one action speaks louder than a hundred words.


I completely released the energy I had been suppressing. Since they were all knights, I believed they would be able to endure this much.


— Aarrrgh! 


— Hee-heeeek! 


— Uggghh…


'If you have power, you should consider using it, what are you going to do by saving it!'


Master clearly said so.


If it's possible. The person standing in front of others must show as overwhelming a presence as possible.


To control subordinates properly so that at least one less person dies on the battlefield.


Until now, I'd just been following in my master's footsteps. Now I could imitate them to some extent.


— kkuk, Kueok...! 


— Geureuk, Geureuuu…


As the pressure continued, some started pissing themselves, and some even foamed at the mouth and fainted.


Those who were standing properly so far were the former knight commander, who stared at me with sharp eyes while breaking out in a cold sweat, and the deputy commander, whose face turned red, perhaps due to the pressure.


And four decurion captains and only one centurion captain. Why were the lower-ranking captains holding up better?


The common knights are wiped out. Truly pathetic people.


The warriors of the northern barbarian people, even the lowly ones, were afraid of my energy, but they still tried to fight against me.


Where on earth could these knights be used when they were so weak?


Still, there was no need to torment my subordinates more than necessary, so this should be enough. I slowly retracted the energy I had released and shouted loudly.


“Black Lion Knight Order, attention!” 


“At-attentioonnn!”


From those who were not completely wrecked and still could open their mouths, I heard a voice that was incomparably more powerful than the one I had heard earlier.


Finally, I was starting to like those guys little by little.


“I am looking forward to working with you from now on. Under the command of this Knight Commander, the Black Lion Order will be reborn in a new form from now on. That is all."


As mentioned earlier, I ended my speech as short and thick as possible.


This was the end of the not-so-pleasant inauguration ceremony..


From now on, I was the head of this place, so there was no need for any other events.


I immediately called the deputy commander.


“Deputy Commander.” 


“Ye-yesh?!”


I frowned instinctively at the strange answer, as if her strength had suddenly been released. I thought the deputy commander was somewhat useful. Did she actually manage to barely hold herself together until now?


Indeed, since we were standing on the platform together, she must have felt the pressure more strongly. That much could be taken into consideration.


“Including the captains. Those who just pissed themselves, those who collapsed, those who foamed at the mouth… there are too many. Anyway, I want the names of all the members who couldn't stand on their own two feet to be presented to the disciplinary committee.” 


"A-all of them?"


“Did you, by any chance, not understand my words correctly?"


When I approached the deputy commander, who was fumbling with a red face, and whispered directly into her ear, she seemed to have finally come to her senses.


“No! I will carry out your orders as soon as the inauguration ceremony is over!” 


“Good. I'm finally starting to like it now.”


At my words, the deputy commander returned to her seat in the right corner of the podium and sat in a resting position.


The inauguration ceremony was already over, but did she still have anything left to do?


I was about to tell her to go to work right away, but the deputy commander's condition looked so bad that I decided to leave her alone for a while.


For starters, it seemed like the buttons on her jacket would burst at any moment due to her posture. The uniform size seemed too small for her figure, so it seemed that alterations were urgently needed.


Seeing that the redness hadn't yet disappeared from her face, and noticing that even her ears were bright red, it seemed that there was a problem with her blood circulation as well.


“Haa, haa… haah…”


Rough breathing. Could it be that there was a problem with her respiratory system as well?


As a knight, physical fitness was crucial, so there couldn't possibly be a problem with that. It must be because of the uniform causing difficulty in breathing.


It would be difficult if physical characteristics interfered with carrying out duties, though.


Since I also had an extraordinary body, I could easily guess her difficulties. I should introduce her to a tailor who accepts custom requests.


In many ways, the deputy commander seemed like the type of person that required more attention than expected.


However, caring about subordinates was also a virtue of a superior. As long as she showed her capability as much as I cared for her, it didn't matter.


In addition, since I was someone who was not very familiar with paperwork, I would really need a subordinate with a good head, so I had to get along with the deputy commander as best as possible from now on.


After all, how could a person who had taken on all the roles during the event by herself be stupid?


“Haha…! That was quite something. Schwarz County? How could someone like you come from such an insignificant family..."


On the other hand, the person who showed an unexpected appearance was the former commander.


I thought he would be the first to collapse, but he ended up holding on until the end. Still, it seemed he did not get the position of Knight Commander randomly.


Or was it because of the Medici family lineage?


But why on earth was he suddenly picking a fight?


“That’s what I'm thinking. I thought you were a completely useless person, but it seems you have got at least the basics down to some extent."


I had no thoughts of getting angry, so I paid back as politely as possible. It seemed like he wanted me to keep holding on to his pant leg.


“W-what! You, someone who's just a trash count, dare to speak without even knowing the subject!"


Yes. Such words should be expected from such a trash-like guy.


Bringing up one's status or family name when one becomes speechless. Such a thing is done by those who have nothing to put forward other than that.


"Isn't it rather you who don't know the subject?” 


“This, this… you dare to insult me like that…”


The figure of the trash began to shake, his face turning red as he exposed his rising discomfort without bothering to hide it.


The sight of the deputy commander blushing was aesthetically pleasing. It was only disgusting when a dirty man blushed.


In addition, a bastard who was not even the Marquis de' Medici himself and might or might not be in the line of succession was not my level in the first place.


So, in the current situation.


It was not that I was taking a bite at him.


He was taking a bite at me.


“I will definitely make a formal protest at the family level about this matter! If that happens, your insignificant family will undoubtedly be in a miserable situation…”


But as I listened, it became so disgusting that I couldn't bear it anymore.


"What did you just say?"


I gripped the neck of talking trash with one hand and lifted it high into the air.



[ 1. Decurion Captain - Captain of 10 people.

2. Centurion Captain - Captain of 100 people.]

If you know of any better word for those, let me know in the comments.


If you find something really out place, let me know in the comments. 

<PrevToC - Next>


Please rate this series through this -> link

You can donate me through this -> link 

Thanks for reading~~

Post a Comment

0 Comments

Ad Code

Responsive Advertisement
DISABLED